Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Frolicking Ferrets

When I was living in Aurora, Colorado, I was out on my patio enjoying some sunshine and out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement in the bushes.  Curious, I walked a little closer and out of the leaves came a little ferret.  It had obviously gotten out of someone's apartment.  It was very tame and friendly and eventually I decided I needed to find out where it's real home was.  Luckily, I was able to find its owner and the story had a happy ending, but ever since then I've had a fondness for the little things.  How could you not love a face that looks like this.

Source:  Maniac World

Ferrets are domesticated mammals of the weasel family, most closely related to the polecat, except for black-footed ferrets which still live in the wild.  More on them a little later.  It is believed that ferrets have been domesticated for over 2,500 years, but how their domestication started is unclear.  Ferrets are somewhat like cats - they spend the majority of their time asleep!  The word ferret is derived from the Latin word furetus meaning 'little thief'.  If you happen to have a ferret, you may be able attest to the accuracy of their naming.  They are also very curious and playful which is why they are so popular as pets. However, in some countries it is illegal to have them as pets.   I absolutely love this photo.

Source:  lol cats

Unfortunately, ferrets share similarities to human physiology and are used in biomedical research.

The Black-Footed ferret is an endangered species and a small population found in Wyoming was put into a captive breeding program.  They are trying to make a comeback, and have been reintroduced in Wyoming, as well as Colorado, Utah, South Dakota and a few other states.  Ferrets are carnivores and with their slender bodies are very good at going into burrows and 'ferreting' out rodents, rabbits and moles.  They are nocturnal and their primary prey is prairie dogs.

Photo by Jeff Vanuga/Corbis  Source:  National Geographic

For a video of ferrets in action, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment