Monday, November 7, 2011

Perfect Perspectives

I've been working a temp job for the last few weeks that takes me to Cumberland, Rhode Island.  I'm really loving the drive - at least once I get past Route 1.  In a matter of literally feet, I go from busy two-lane mass confusion to the New England countryside.  So this post I'm taking you on a little drive with me.

From my house I go a few blocks to Newport Avenue - one of the main drags of Pawtucket on the eastern side of town.  It's a mixed zone of homes and businesses.  I stay on Newport Avenue (Route 1A) until I hit Route 1 which takes me across the state line into Massachusetts.  Route 1 is loaded with restaurants, gas stations, strip malls, a regular mall and car dealerships. although once in a while along the way there are hints of things to come.





Then I come to the corner where I turn onto Route 120.  And I go from this...


to this.





When I make that turn, I definitely let out a big AAAHHHH and can feel my blood pressure go down about 10 points.  The rest of my journey is a joy.  By the way, 120 also takes me back into Rhode Island.  Here are more scenes along the way.






There are some spectacular houses in the area as well as more modest ones.  But the majority are nestled in the arms of these wonderful mature towering trees.



This little shed is dwarfed by the trees.


And then I come to another light where I turn onto Route 114.


There are a few businesses on 114 - like a general store!  The 'Lil General store to be exact.


A veterinary office and an ice cream shop.  I love their sign.


But there is also a little park.



And you can't be in New England without seeing a few stone fences.



A couple of times I've turned that corner onto Route 120, gone a short distance and seen wild turkeys along the side of the road!  (My friends in New Jersey also have wild turkeys that wander into their yard.  I 'borrowed' a picture from their house.)


This kind of scenery just speaks to me and soothes my soul.   I hope you enjoyed the trip as much as I do!

2 comments: