Thursday, November 29, 2012

More Skunks

I was cleaning the litter boxes this afternoon when I happened to hear some grunting and snuffling noises outside.  I looked out the window and there were three skunks on my patio!  I think it was a mom and her two almost-grown kits.  The 'mom' is a beautiful skunk that is almost all white with just a narrow stripe of black down her back and black feet.  One kit was more 'normal' looking and the other was sort of a cross between the mom and the other kit with more white and a black stripe that started down its back, but then went down its shoulder.


They were all eating the cat food that was still out.  It was just before dusk and I was surprised to see them out while it was still somewhat light. They were all doing their best impressions of a floor mop and reminded me of a Pekinese or similar breed at a dog show - all fluffed out making it hard to tell which end was which.  Their behavior made me laugh though because they kept backing into each other trying to push the others off the food, but evidently not willing to risk a blast of 'skunk juice' right in the face from each other.  At least that was my interpretation of their actions.  Of course, I contemplated trying to get a picture, but as soon as I opened the door they scampered away.  Besides it really was too dark.  I was suckered into putting out a little more food and refilled the water dish.  They were back in no time.  At least now I know why the water dish is almost completely empty almost every morning.

Source:  Animal Planet

I watched them a while longer until it got too dark to see much.  Really love those crazy skunks!

4 comments:

  1. Next thing you know you'll be putting a litter box out for them. ;)

    Hmmm... I don't think skunks spray each other ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think I'll go that far. They have plenty of places to do their business outside. Not sure if they spray each other or not either, but they sure did seem to be keeping their faces out of each other's rear ends!

      Delete
  2. It was a joke, hence the wink!

    Maybe they just don't like the smell of each others' butts.

    Don't feed them, they will survive without the cat food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know it was a joke! Although you know me - I might actually do something like that! ;-)

      Delete