Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nasty Nemo

Nemo has done its worst - the winds have died down, the snow is almost done (still could get another inch today), and we're seeing peeks of sun every once in a while.  The sound of snow falling off the roof and windows startle the cats every once in a while.  Here in Rhode Island there are over 180,000 people without power, but I am very thankful I'm not one of them.

After getting dressed and feeding the kitties, I heard voices outside and went to see what and who was braving the elements.  The guy who has a truck with a blade on it and lives in the park is our usual snow plower.  (He also happens to be the son-in-law of the woman who owns the park,)   He was plowing right in front of my house and had gotten stuck.  They were trying to shovel out with my neighbors' help, but were shoveling the snow right on top of my car!  They seemed to have no other place to put it, but that doesn't help me much when I have to get my car out.


I guess you can see why they got stuck.  The drift in front of my car and on my sidewalk was up to my waist!  Where they were throwing the snow to get the truck out, it's up to my chest!


Have been out to shovel twice and now can at least get out to the street, but my car is still buried.  There is a travel ban in RI right now and only emergency personnel and other approved people are supposed to be out on the roads, plus I really have no place to go, so it may be tomorrow before my car gets shoveled out.  Besides the street through the mobile home park is still not very well plowed.


The truck finally got unstuck, went a few yards and got stuck again.


It was really wet sticky snow.  I can't see out of some of the windows because the snow stuck to the screens.  Here's what my bathroom window looks like.


Here are some pictures of my next door neighbor's house.



You can see how the snow even stuck to the siding.



Otherwise, it is pretty if you don't have to go anywhere.


Although the birdfeeder definitely needs to be kept full.  The juncos are out in full force...


but don't have too many places to land!  Still getting occasional blasts of wind.  Sun and temperatures above freezing tomorrow.  It will probably take that long to get dug out!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, your car is BURIED. You need to un-bury it before tomorrow though otherwise it will turn to ice tonight! We only got 12 inches on the level and we didn't get the wind, so we got lucky this time. Great pics! And glad you're ok and didn't lost power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car is halfway shoveled. I'm done for the day - my back hurts! The rest will just have to wait until tomorrow. Supposed to be above freezing. Sunny too - I'll let the sun thaw everything out!

      Delete