Monday, August 19, 2013

Skylands Botanical Gardens

On Friday I went down to New Jersey to visit my friends Rick and Lynne.  Lynne is a great photographer and she and I went to Skylands Botantical Gardens in Ringwood to take some photos. There were plenty of flowers in bloom and I specifically went to see if we could see some butterflies other than the normal ones that show up on my butterfly bushes.  I was not disappointed.  Here are some of the photos I took of the gardens and two new species of butterflies I hadn't seen before.

I just love this little 'English cottage' type building that is at the entrance to the gardens.



 
Love this charming little statue of Pan.

 

Some of the bumble bees were so big and heavy they would actually fall off the flowers.



There were a couple of pools of water lilies.




You can't have a water lily pond without koi!



I wasn't able to get very good photos of this new butterfly, but it was really gorgeous and I THINK it's a Great Spangled Fritillary (and, of course, it was on a butterfly bush that pretty much looks just like mine!)...



and I think this little gem is a Silvery Checkerspot.


It was a great trip to one of our favorite spots.

2 comments:

  1. Aw shucks ... thanks for the compliment! :)
    You got some really good pics! I think you need to splurge on a telephoto lens. I love that shot of Pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pan shot was done with YOUR lens - one of the few that I was able to get before frustration set in.

      Delete