Friday, January 3, 2014

Patterns in the Snow

Yes, Virginia, we have snow.  Actually not as bad here as in other places, but still have to shovel it and yes, it's REALLY cold.  The wind is what's the problem and blowing and drifting snow makes it hard to determine exactly how much we got.  The official word is seven inches which may not sound like much, but in places you can still see dried plants and in others there is a foot and a half snow drift.

The snow brings out the birds that I don't otherwise normally see.  Like the juncos...


and the song sparrows...


(That's it on the left.  You can ALMOST tell what it is!)  and the white-throated sparrows (Didn't even try to take a photo of it).

Here are a few more pictures -- of the snow.  I like this one of the snow piled up on my neighbor's porch light.


The snow looks like a Dagwood sandwich.


In this case mother nature didn't throw the snow on my neighbor's house and make it stick to the side; my neighbor's snow blower did.


Know what this is?


These boots were made for walkin' (in snow that is).


And I had little waves of snow hanging off my roof.


The cold continues tonight and tomorrow and then temps in the 40s and rain!  The snow won't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment