Monday, February 24, 2014

Piteous Pigeon

I got home from work on Friday and was greeted by the sight of bird feathers all over the sidewalk almost directly under the bird feeder.




I thought 'oh no, one of the cats got a bird'.  But then I was informed by my next door neighbors that they witnessed an attack on a pigeon not by a cat, but by a hawk.

Probably with all the snow on the ground for the last couple of weeks, the song birds are not the only ones finding slim pickings in the food department.  My neighbor across the street said he found feathers all over and blood in the snow in back of his house too. Could very well have been another hawk attack.

I had seen hawks around a few years ago, but hadn't seen any this past year at all.  Here's a not so great photo of one sitting on top of a telephone pole that I took a few years back.




I first noticed there was a hawk around when I was sitting in my living room and saw a hawk snatch a sparrow off the roof of my neighbor's house.  It took me a few minutes to realize what I had just seen.

We've had some warmer weather the past few days, but still not enough to melt all the snow.  Colder weather on the way for next week, so it's very possible the pigeon population may be reduced some more before the winter is over.

1 comment:

  1. At times I've seen the same pile of feathers at the front bird feeding station. Sad, but part of nature. Yesterday there was a large broad-winged hawk sitting in a tree in the back yard ... just waiting. This winter is hard on all the animals and birds for sure!

    ReplyDelete