Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Signs of Life

We've been inundated with rain for the past few days - over 4 inches.  Today on the fourth day we have sunshine!  And it was a warm 55 degrees.  That IS warm compared to the weather we've had all winter and what we've had lately that's been way below average for this time of year.  Today I went out in the yard to see if there were any signs that spring was really on its way.  And I actually found some.  The iris that I planted last summer was starting to show green, the rose bush was showing buds, and there were buds on my rhododendron - probably leaf buds, but buds none the less.





Another warm day and I need to get busy with yard work.  I need to prune the butterfly bushes and my clematis vine, get some more mulch and put out some fertilizer and weed stop.  Hoping spring is indeed on its way!

Update 4/3:

And you can add columbine to the list!



Another sunny day today with open windows!

2 comments:

  1. You are ahead of us for sure! No columbine popping up here. Shouldn't your iris rhizomes be more covered? C'mon Spring!! We are not so patiently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rhizomes were totally covered when I planted them - I think these are new ones that have sprung up from the original plants?? Will have to cover them up a little more I guess. I got four bags of mulch yesterday. Am waiting to put it down until I get my plant food/weed stop down which will get done tonight since we're supposed to get rain.

      Delete