Friday, May 6, 2011

A Little This, A Little That

I've noticed in the last week or so visits from a male house finch.  I haven't seen the female that I know of, but, of course, like cardinals the male is much more noticeable.  The finch has been very interested in the feeder that is filled with safflower seed.  I got some finch seed mix at the store and had just added it along with more safflower seed to my little feeder and was ready to take it outside.  When I opened the door, there was the finch on the wire attached to my larger feeder.  He kept looking at me and then at the empty space where the small feeder normally hangs and back at me again, as if to say, 'Hey, where's my safflower seed?'  He looked so beautiful with the sun shining on him - the rosy streaks on his head almost looked iridescent.  I wish I had gotten a picture, but I was so caught up in just enjoying the view I didn't even think about getting the camera until I'd hung up the little feeder.  He had flown away, but quickly came back.  Then when I tried to get a picture he took off.

I think House Finch is such a nondescript name for this beautiful little bird.


And the Purple Finch is misnamed too since it's not purple.  Who named these birds anyway?

 Source:  Wikipedia

Maybe they should be called the Rosy Finch and the Rosier Finch.  Yeah, you're right - that needs a little work.

Besides the finch, the signs of spring continue.  My creeping phlox is in full bloom.


My next-door neighbor's lilac bush is as well.


The little variegated azaleas I planted last fall are sporting their first blossoms.


Sometimes things just start growing in my yard.  Because of the spring rains, we have tons of little wild violets, which I absolutely love.


These oak leaf ferns just showed up.  They fit right in with the other ferns I planted in the same area.


Unfortunately, some things show up that just can't stay.  I always have tons of little cedar seedlings sprouting up in my backyard.  This little tree is also flowering right now, but it started growing right up against my neighbor's house and it will have to go, which is a shame because it has very sweet-scented flowers.


I wish I knew what it was and how big it will get.  I might try to transplant it somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment