Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brief Encounters

Last Monday I was working a temp job in Cumberland, RI.  The place had a beautiful setting - lots of evergreen trees as well as deciduous trees and open spaces.  I arrived early and sat in my car eating a granola bar before starting work.  I had allowed extra time because it was the first time I had worked there and didn't know whether I would have trouble finding it or not.  As I sat there, a beautiful male bluebird flew in and landed on the back of the bench that was right in front of my car.  I don't ever see bluebirds around my house, so this was an unexpected treat.  It flew into a tree nearby, but then came back to the bench several times as I sat there.  I didn't have my camera with me, although I did have my cell phone, but never thought of taking it out.  I brought it the next day hoping to get a photo, but, of course, that day I didn't see it.

Source:  Wikipedia

Bluebirds are in the thrush family and are insect and fruit eaters.  They will eat seeds in the winter when insects are scarce, but they much prefer a juicy grasshopper or crunchy cricket.  They will also eat snails on occasion.

Photo by Richard Day/Animals Animals  Source:  National Geographic

Saturday I was sitting in my easy chair contemplating what my next blog post would be about :-)  and happened to glance out the window just in time to see a large bird flying overhead.  I could see the long legs dragging behind wide outspread wings.  I'm pretty sure it was a Great Blue Heron.  I do live somewhat near water, but not that close.  I have seen them before a couple of times; it is not a common sight, but a very welcome one.  It was flying away from the coast, but in the general direction of a large reservoir.

Source:  Wikipedia

Great blue herons live in North and Central America as well as some island groups.  There is also a population of great white herons that are found in southern Florida and the Caribbean. These herons are mostly fish eaters, but will eat crabs, insects, small mammals, and other small birds.

Source:  Wikipedia

It's always lovely to take a few moments out of an average day for one of nature's surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment