Friday, July 15, 2011

Weird Wasps

I bought a new 'outside' broom to sweep up all the sunflower seed hulls that had collected on my patio from my bird feeder.  I went to put it in my shed which I hadn't been in for a few weeks and was met by a strange sight.


Some industrious little wasp had started to build a nest on the handle of the can of stuff I use to fix leaks in my roof! (I lent some of the 'stuff' to my neighbor a month or two ago and there was definitely not a wasp's nest on the handle then!)  Only a very small area is actually attaching the nest to the handle.


Other wasps have built nests in my shed that are in a more sensible location - on the roof.


The little one on the handle is actually an interesting feat of engineering and kind of beautiful in its geometricness.  (Is that a word?)  It looks like a flower seed pod.


I haven't moved it yet.  I also have yet to see any actual wasp working on it or entering it, so I don't know if it's a 'live' nest or whether whoever started it had second thoughts about its location.  I'll continue to check on it and see if it gets any bigger.  Hopefully, I won't have any leaks in my roof anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment