Monday, August 22, 2011

Oddball Relatives

No, I'm not talking about MY relatives.  I talked about the hyrax, technically the Rock Hyrax or Cape Hyrax, in my previous post about Ethiopian Wolves.  The hyrax is a small rodent-type mammal that lives across Central and Southern Africa along with small areas in Northern Africa and the Middle East.  It's called the Rock Hyrax because it prefers to live in rock crevices in order to escape predators.  They remind me a lot of my little woodchucks in this picture.

Source:  Wikipedia

Hyraxes eat grasses, leaves and insects and live in herds of up to over 50 individuals made up of several family groups.  Unlike my woodchucks, the hyrax can climb trees for an extra special meal of citrus leaves.  While the Ethiopian wolf is an occasional predator, the hyrax is especially vulnerable to birds of prey.

But you'll never guess the hyrax's closest living relatives - the elephant and the manatee or dugong!

Source:  Wildlife-Pictures-Online.com

Source:  Wikipedia
 
I don't know about you, but I think it would be one strange family reunion.  To learn more and see a video, click here,

No comments:

Post a Comment