Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vast Victoria Falls

While Niagara Falls in the U.S. is pretty impressive, (I know - I've seen it!), it pales in comparison to Africa's Victoria Falls, the largest in the world.  That falls I haven't seen, but if I'm lucky, one of these days I will.  It is on the Zambezi River between Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Source:  Wikipedia

Listed as one of the seven natural wonders of the world and a UNESCO world heritage site, Victoria Falls is 360 feet tall (compared to Niagara's 167 feet) and 5,600 feet wide.  Niagara is a little over 3,900 feet wide.  It is also known as Mosi-oa-Tunya or Smoke That Thunders.  The area where the Falls is located experiences a rainy season and a dry season.  During the dry season the Falls might not be quite as impressive and the flow of water is about a tenth of maximum flow which occurs in April.  This flow variation is greater than any other falls. During the rainy and/or flood season, spray from the falls rises between 1,300 feet to 2,600 feet and can be seen from miles away.  The foot of the Falls is shrouded in mist and at full moon, 'moonbows' can be seen.

Source:  Wikipedia

The Falls, named for Queen Victoria by David Livingstone, has multiple gorges and cataracts.  Until I can see it for myself, a video will just have to do.  To see it,  click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment