Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mini Marsh II

When I drove by the 'mini marsh' on Monday I saw baby ducklings!  Naturally, I didn't have my camera with me.  I took my camera on Tuesday, but no ducklings.  However Wednesday morning I caught a break.  There was a momma mallard (most probably and not the blue-winged teal as I had originally thought - my friend, Lynne, in NJ corrected me.  Will never be a birder because I have a terrible time identifying what I see!) with three little kids.  When I saw the ducklings on Monday I thought there were a few more babies, but it might have been a different duck and brood.  Mallards though usually lay 8 to 13 eggs, so either this mom has lost some babies, all the eggs didn't hatch, or possibly she was a first-time mom and didn't lay as many eggs??  Either way, the babies are the cutest!  Here's the proud momma...


and her kids.







At first momma was a little protective, but then she decided I didn't mean any harm.  In fact at one point I walked over to where the geese were and she (and the ducklings) followed me.  She was probably looking for a handout, but I was thrilled to get the pictures and have her feel so comfortable around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment