Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth of July

Night before last I was treated to the fireworks display at McCoy Stadium where the Boston Red Sox farm team, the Paw Sox, play.  I was not at the stadium, I was in my living room and on my porch watching (and listening) to the celebration.  Last night I heard fireworks outside both from the neighbors and a reprise at the Stadium. Today is the 4th of July and some folks were celebrating just a wee bit early.  Sometimes not appreciated late at night when people are trying to sleep.

One of my favorite fireworks experiences was in New York City, listening to the 1812 Overture lying on my back in the middle Central Park and watching the fireworks coincide with the crashing cymbals and timpani drums.

No matter where you are watching them, did you know that various metal salts produce different colors?  For example, copper produces blue, aluminum = silver, calcium = orange, lithium = red, and sodium = yellow.

The concept of fireworks began in China possibly as early as 2000 years ago.  China is still the biggest producer of fireworks in the world.  But enough about the science - time for the result of the science.

Source:  Wikipedia

Source:  Wikipedia

Source:  Wikipedia

Speaking of fireworks, click here to see how London celebrates New Year's Day.  Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment