Thursday, August 23, 2012

Stuff and Things

Not a lot going on here on these lazy summer days.  I know you're probably tired of "butterflies on my butterfly bush" pictures, but the last week there have been scads (not quite enough to call it a swarm) of Painted Ladies on my butterfly bushes.  Maybe they can tell there's a change in the air and September is closing in, but for whatever reason they are showing up early in the morning and staying around the entire day.  There are at least 20 or more that have been coming every day.  I really need a video camera to capture the scene because trying to get shots of many butterflies at one time is a challenge to say the least.  To capture many in one shot with their wings open so that you can actually tell where they are AND get them in focus is almost impossible.  They are constantly moving both on the flowers themselves and going from blossom to blossom.  Once in a while they all fly up in the air and then settle back down again.  Here are just a few shots that turned out not too bad.




I think there are six butterflies in the last picture.  This monarch had to "share" with so many Painted Ladies around.


There was also one I called Broken Wing because almost all of its hind wings were missing on both sides along with part of one fore wing, but it still managed to get around just fine.


The other day I also caught a very unwanted guest in one my shots.


And I had to include a photo of the one of the huge bumblebees that also are attracted to the blooms.  I love these big guys.


I also caught a photo of a spider just as another bug had flown into its web and got to watch it secure its prize.


And last but not least we had an unexpected surprise in the skies a few days ago as it flew overhead - the Hood blimp!


By the time I could grab my camera and capture it, it was almost too far away.   The Pawtucket "air show" was not quite as exciting as the one in Hewitt, eh Lynne?

1 comment:

  1. No, one blimp does not an air show make! ;) Still, it's something in the sky!
    Butterflies are hard subjects. They flit around too much and open and close their wings constantly. I see lots of those big bumbles when I go to Skylands. They are HUGE!

    ReplyDelete