Thursday, May 2, 2013

Jarring Jays

When I was in Portland, Oregon a month ago visiting my niece, I saw a blue bird out in the yard I wasn't familiar with.  I asked what it was.  She replied, 'It's a blue jay.'  I said. 'That's not a blue jay!'  I'm familiar with the eastern Blue Jay.  I hear them all the time around my house, they come to the bird feeder, and will eat cat food in a pinch.  They really prefer peanuts though.


I'm also used to seeing Stellar's Jays when I lived in Colorado.

Source:  Wikipedia

Technically, the bird I saw in Portland was a Western Scrub Jay.  There are three subspecies of Scrub Jays and their range goes from Washington to Mexico.

Source: Wikipedia

Jays are part of the crow family which may explain the raucous and peculiar calls I hear from MY jays.  One in particular almost sounds like they are yodeling.  They are also known for mimicking hawks.  It is not known whether the intent of imitating a hawk is to warn others a hawk is around or to fake other birds out.  In fact MY jays are the only ones actually called Blue Jay.  They prefer the edge of forest areas where there are oak trees or feeders close by.  They eat insects, nuts, fruit, seeds and grains, and rarely have been known to raid other nests for eggs or nestlings.

Blue is not the only color jays come in.  There is also the Gray Jay...

(also known as the Canada jay or Whiskey Jack)   Source: Wikipedia

black jays known as the Piapiac...

Source: Wikipedia

the Green Jay...

Source:  Wikipedia

the Brown Jay....

Source:  Wikipedia

and various combinations of all those colors.

Black-headed Jay or Lanceolated Jay    Source: Wikipedia

Lidth's Jay   Source: Wikipedia

Biddulph's Ground-jay   Photo by  Björn Anderson   Source:  Oriental Bird Images

White-throated Magpie-jay   Source: Wikipedia

Plush-crested Jay   Source: Wikipedia

Beautiful Jay   Source: Wikipedia

Well, you get the idea.  There are over 40 species of jays and, yes, the bird just above is actually called a Beautiful Jay.  As cheeky as they are, I think I still like MY jays the best!

2 comments:

  1. We had one of those scrub jays at the cabin one year. I know it's not their territory so it must have been on its way further west. We also have the gray jays (or camp robbers as they are also known) but not too many. Tons of stellars of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scrub jay must have been vacationing at the cabin too! :-)

      Delete