Friday, May 31, 2013

Raccoon Rendezvous

My first raccoon encounter of the season was Tuesday morning.  I thought I was going to work and was all dressed up for the office when I went out to feed the stray cats.  Normally I feed the outside cats before I feed my own inside cats.  I had been out earlier and took out some dry food and fresh water, but Van Gogh was the only cat out there.  So I fed my cats first and then went out to see if Romeo had shown up so I could take out the canned food.  I saw Romeo and Spot coming up the sidewalk but they were a little hesitant.  I looked over where the dry food was to see if there was a strange cat eating.  And in fact there was a VERY strange cat eating - one with a ringed tail and a mask over its eyes!  The first time I had seen the raccoon this spring.  My next door neighbor came out and we both talked to it.  At first the raccoon was a little hesitant too and started to walk away but then got more comfortable with us there and came back and had a little more cat food.  My next door neighbor said that she had seen five babies earlier that morning.  I checked up in my tree but they had gone by then.  I got a couple of pictures before momma raccoon decided it was time to leave.  Momma raccoon came back that evening too so these photos are a combination of the photos I took in the morning and late afternoon on the same day..







My first raccoon encounter last year was almost exactly a year ago to the day!  When mama raccoon finally left and went to the tree she actually lives in when it was starting to get dark, I could see a couple of babies huddled in the crook of the trunk, but they were too high up to take photos.  Can't wait to see them up close and personal!

No comments:

Post a Comment