Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Guilty Groundhog

I planted some lupine in my garden this year.  Actually just one plant.  The tag claimed it was red, but when it actually bloomed, it looked more dark pink which was maybe a good thing since I had planted it near some other pink flowers.  I only got one because I could only find one 'red' one and I kept looking for more red but could never find any.  Probably a good thing since once my lupine bloomed, I remembered that I had planted some a few years ago and it never came back and why.  Woodchucks!  They really like lupine!  I had one gorgeous bloom that was almost a foot tall.  Here is what lupine is supposed to look like.


The blossoms really are impressive.  Mine one 'plume' of flowers was gorgeous until one morning I was looking out the kitchen window and noticed it was gone!  Just an empty stem standing where a beautiful stalk of flowers used to be.  There was another bloom coming along but hadn't come out yet so I was hopeful until a couple of days later I noticed that it was gone too along with quite a few leaves.  Here's what my lupine looks like now.


Poor baby!  That's what happens when you have a groundhog living close by.


Who, me???

Yes, you!!  Guilty as charged.

4 comments:

  1. Not very nice considering that you feed the little rodents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't been feeding the groundhogs. If I had maybe he wouldn't have eaten my lupine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He eats the cat food you put out though, so ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen him/her eating cat food lately. He's too busy eating my lupine, and violas, and columbine, and... Besides they have to stand in line behind the cats, raccoons, possums, skunks and blue jays.

      Delete