Monday, November 25, 2013

In My Mind I'm Goin' to Carolina

Big excitement at the bird feeder yesterday.  I finally identified the little brown bird I had caught a glimpse of the other day.  It was a Carolina Wren - the first I've seen since I've been here.  Of course, it could have been around before; they are pretty common in this area.  My friends in New Jersey have them all the time, but now I have one of my own.

Carolina wrens are a bird found only in the eastern U.S., southern Ontario, and parts of northeastern Mexico.  The way I positively identified my wren was its prominent white 'eyebrows', longish bill, and distinctive upward cocked tail.

 Source:  Wikipedia

It is the second largest wren species being a little on the chunky side.  Its normal menu is insects found in leaf litter as it is a ground forager.  A good reason to leave fall leaves in your yard until spring!  They also frequent brush piles and my neighbor behind me has a nice one.  They don't migrate and harsh winters can take their toll on these delightful little birds, but they are quick to build their numbers back up at breeding season.  They also eat some fruit.

Source:  All About Birds

It does frequent feeders and, as you can see, suet in winter if other food is scarce.  Reading that I just about froze taking more suet out without my coat on since it was in the 20s with a wind chill of about 11!  Had a heck of a time getting that little hook in a hole in the chain on my suet feeder with the wind blowing like crazy. Well, obviously I didn't freeze - hey, I was motivated.  I wanted to make sure that little wren has plenty to eat.  Berry suet was my optimum choice.  Looking forward to seeing it again.

4 comments:

  1. These are such delightful little birds! I love having them around. They are so cute and have such a beautiful array of songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh,,,, never mind ... James Taylor!

    ReplyDelete