Monday, December 23, 2013

Don We Now Our Gay Apparel

Slater Park is all dressed up for the holidays - wreaths on the fence at the entrance and Winter Wonderland is on display with about a hundred decorated trees and a huge Frosty the snowman and a holiday 'village'.







I stopped to take a few pictures, but the real show was not so apparent.  We've had early very cold temperatures so far, even though today we're supposed to be in the 50s.  So the main pond in the park is almost frozen over.  There are a few areas around the edges where the water is evident, but for the most part, there is a layer of ice almost across the entire pond.  I noticed a few flocks of geese on the wing as I was coming into the park.



Seeing how the pond was frozen over I then understood why the geese were in the air and not in the water.  The ducks, however, along with the gulls, were still around and watching them trying to walk on the ice and landing on it had everyone laughing.  I almost called this post Duck Pin Bowling because at one point I saw a duck come in for a landing and then slide for about 6 feet almost taking out a few other 'friends' along the way.  How I wish I'd had a video camera for that one.





I enjoyed the holiday decorations, but the ducks stole the show.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's one big Frosty! I love the little houses, so sweet. What a great pic of the three ducks (last pic) on the ice. Shadows and all. Super!! We might get a coating of snow tomorrow night but right now it's raining, raining, raining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a distance the village looks sweet, but close up they are advertisements - the name of the sponsoring company is on the front of each building. It rained pretty much all day here too. A very sloppy commute home tonight.

      Delete