Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hooray for Horses

This week the World Equestrian Games are taking place at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, the first time ever that they have been held outside of Europe.  And with the movie 'Secretariat' about to open I can think of no better time to pay tribute to horses.

I grew up loving horses.  My friend Lois and I started a Horse Lovers Club when we were in elementary school.  Of course, we were the only ones in it; we never invited anybody else to join.   We would save our money and go horseback riding whenever we could talk our parents in to taking us.  In spite of our enthusiasm and even a few lessons, I never did learn to ride very well, proven by my fall from a horse (at a full gallop) about 20 years ago.  I've only been on a horse once or twice since then.  Here's a photo of me on a horse during my 'I might sort of LOOK like a cowgirl, but I really have no idea what I'm doing' phase.

 
My family and I spent a lot of vacations in Colorado and one summer we stayed at a place that had horse stables on the property.  I was in heaven.  Whenever my family couldn't see me, they always knew where they could find me.  I remember though that when we got back home I was so upset with my mother - she made me throw away my favorite moccasins that I had worn around the stables because she was afraid they MIGHT be 'contaminated' with horse poo!

I still think there are few creatures on earth as beautiful and regal as a horse.  See what I mean?



I'll be the first to admit that watching a horse race is exciting, but when I do I always hold my breath until the race is over afraid of that gut-wrenching moment when you see a horse break down.  I do not understand how we can put a man on the moon, but have yet to figure out how save a horse with a broken leg.  Have we bred horses with blinders on with such a focus on speed that we have compromised their health?  It seems like the sight of an injured horse on the racetrack happens way too often.  For months, the nation followed the unbelievably valiant effort to save Barbaro before that story too had a tragic ending.

Besides injuries there are a few other things wrong with the horse racing industry.  Like any other relationship between humans and animals, there are always a few bad apples that refuse to be responsible for those that are entrusted to their care.  As long as a horse is making money and being successful, they are usually well cared for.  But what happens when the horses get too old to race (most horses are retired at age 6 or 7, but can live into their 20s) or just don't have what it takes to win?  The classic case of irresponsibility is the shameful story of Ferdinand, a horse that won the Kentucky Derby, the Breeders' Cup Classic, was named Horse of the Year, and earned close to $4 million dollars, but his life ended in a slaughterhouse in Japan.  And he's not the only famous racehorse whose life ended that way (see the link below to The Exceller Fund).  But fortunately because of their stories, some horses' lives have improved beyond the racetrack and there are caring people out there who try to find new jobs and caretakers for ex-racehorses.


Another horse issue is the fate of our country's wild mustangs.  The Bureau of Land Management ("BLM"), who's job it is to protect these horses, has never really had a viable management plan.  They too are controlled by the almighty dollar and their policy has been removal rather than protection because of local ranchers who want (and pay for) access to public lands for grazing cattle.  In the 1800s over 2 million horses roamed the American West; that number has dwindled to only about 30,000.  And that number will be reduced even further if the BLM has its way.  While some mustangs have been adopted and found new homes, over 200,000 have also ended up at a slaughterhouse.  How you could send ANY horse to a slaughterhouse (or any animal, for that matter) is beyond my comprehension.

Horses are an integral part of the American landscape and I can't imagine a world without them.  They have given us a mode of transportation, help us with our work, and given us companionship.  I admire their beauty, intelligence, and courage.

Here are a few links to organizations that help horses in the racing world:
Friends of Ferdinand, Inc.
Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation
Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation
The Exceller Fund

Here are some organizations that are dedicated to protecting America's magnificent wild horses:
American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign
The Cloud Foundation
Return to Freedom
The Humane Society

If you would like a book of stunning wild horse photographs, along with a more detailed account on BLM roundups, policies and procedures, check out the following:
Wild Hoofbeats by Carol J. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment