Monday, January 10, 2011

Primarily Primates

I spent Christmas in Portland, OR with family and friends, namely my sister, Betsy, my niece Alexis, her husband Matt, and their son Theo, along with my friend Jean.  My grand nephew Theo has picked up his mom's and my love of primates.  I spent a lot of time with him looking through a primate book.  It was amazing how quickly he picked up names of primates and the ability to identify them.  What about you?  Can you identify different primates just by looking at a picture?  Do you know the difference between an orangutan, chimpanzee, gorilla, lemur, baboon, tamarin, and squirrel monkey?

Photo by Alex Dunkel  Source:  Wikipedia

Photo by Mila Zinkova  Source:  Wikipedia

Photo by Luc Viatour  Source:  Wikipedia

Photo by Oliver Spalt  Source:  Wikipedia

Photo by Manuel Gonzalez Olaechea y Franco  Source:  Wikipedia

Photo by Thomas Lersch  Source:  Wikipedia

Photo by Charles Miller  Source:  Wikipedia

Here is the order of the above pictures:  lemur (ring-tailed), gorilla, squirrel monkey, orangutan, baboon (Hamadryas), chimpanzee, tamarin (golden lion).  How did you do?  Theo can also recognize different species of birds that come the feeder in his backyard.  Oh, and by the way, did I mention the age of my grand nephew?  Today is his SECOND birthday!!  Who knows what he'll be identifying next.  Happy Birthday, Theo!  And now a picture of the funniest primates of all - US!

1 comment:

  1. I did pretty good. Just didn't know the squirrel monkey or the tamarin by name Cute post, enjoyed it! Wow, that looks like a great book on primates you're looking at! No wonder the kid knows his stuff!

    ReplyDelete