Monday, February 7, 2011

A Band of Brothers

I don't know if you're tired of my bird posts yet, but here's another one.  I know you like them, Jeff, so this one's for you!   I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have three pairs of cardinals that come to my feeder.  The other day I had FIVE male cardinals all at the same time.  I love it when the males all come together because they're like Christmas ornaments on my butterfly bushes.


With so much snow on the ground, the birds are out in full force - cardinals, blue jays, mourning doves, juncos, tufted titmice, chickadees (although I haven't been seeing them around as much) starlings, pigeons, and, of course, the house sparrows with a few squirrels thrown in.




How many house sparrows can you find in this picture?


Also I have another new bird - another sparrow.  As I explained in the Alien Avians post, I have so many house sparrows that when a different kind of sparrow shows up it's cause for celebration.  So besides my new little song sparrows (I've seen only two at the same time) now I have white-throated sparrows.  I've seen four together so far.  Since I don't have a telephoto lens, getting a photo is not easy.  Here is a feeble attempt (it was snowing both days I tried), along with a 'professional' photo so that you can actually see what it looks like.



And I'm really enjoying the little song sparrows.  They're so cute and do a little dance with their feet trying to brush the snow away so they can get to the seeds.  They have very good rhythm.  Maybe THAT'S why they're called song sparrows!

No comments:

Post a Comment