Saturday, February 12, 2011

Same Ole Same Ole

Ho Hum.  Another day, another new bird.  This is getting monotonous - NOT!  We've had so much snow there's no bare ground anywhere so the birds are getting desperate and coming to my house.  Yay!  Today I saw an Eastern (Rufous-sided) Towhee twice!

Male Eastern Towhee   Source:  Boreal Songbird Initiative

The first time it stayed for only a minute, but long enough for me to recognize it.  The second time I had just stepped out onto the porch to get the cat food dish and there it was again.  I stayed very still.  It kept looking at me, but didn't take off until it had eaten a bit.  The Downy Woodpecker was also there, and the Towhee took off when the Downy did.

Female Eastern Towhee   Source:  Boreal Songbird Initiative

It's so exciting to add another bird to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment