Monday, October 10, 2011

Last Gasp of Summer

Sunday, the 9th of October, it was 85 degrees F outside and I sat watching NFL football games with the blinds down blocking out the hot autumn sun and the air conditioner going full blast.  There's definitely something wrong with this picture.  Even the outside cats headed for the shade.

 
And Miss Kitty was not pleased at being disturbed during her late summer reverie.

Just a few days ago we had highs in the 60s and lows into the 30s with heat pouring out of the vents.

Where I am in Rhode Island the leaves haven't even started to turn yet, except for a few trees here and there.  There are still a few flowers blooming in my garden.  Several petals linger on my hydrangea.


Most of the flower clusters on my butterfly bush have died, but a few blooms struggle through their last hurrah.


This small bushy-like plant has little lavender flowers in the spring, but red berries replace them in the fall.  I'm not sure what it is - it just started growing in my front yard.


Even my clematis still has a few procrastinating flowers, although quite a bit of the plant looks dead or dying.


Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 80s again, but the rest of the week reverts back to more normal temperatures in the 60s with flannel-pajama evenings.  So I guess I need to enjoy these final warm days while I can before reality sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment