Monday, October 3, 2011

Troubled Titmice

The birds are starting to come to the feeder on a more regular basis now that the weather is getting a little cooler.  The titmice, which I didn't see much of during the summer, are getting more active - lining up for their turn at the feeder like airplanes lining up on the runway.  Or maybe more accurately like cars lining up at the takeout window.


The titmice never just sit leisurely on the feeder and eat like the sparrows or cardinals.  Titmice are more of a grab and go type eater which means that they fly back and forth to the feeder probably 20 or 30 or more times a day.  Here's a titmouse with a seed in its beak getting ready for takeoff.


The titmouse will occasionally take a seed or nut to the butterfly bush and peck at it to crack it open.  For a video (not taken by me), click here.

The tufted titmouse is only found in the eastern half of the U.S.  During warmer temperatures titmice eat mostly insects, but will also eat seeds, berries and nuts.  Titmice are hoarders and will stash food for future use.

There is also a black-crested titmouse that lives in Texas, Oklahoma and along the eastern coast of Mexico.

Source:  Wikipedia

Titmice have several different calls; the song most talked about is a several note version of peter-peter.  However, around here I mostly hear high pitched whistles and their harsh scolding call.  It's probably because there are so many cats around.  Whenever I do hear a rare peter-peter, I have to stop and think what bird it is!  To hear what they sound like, click here.

Source:  Wikipedia

Titmice are supposed to be somewhat shy, but I can be standing fairly close to the feeder and they come anyway - scolding all the way, of course.  No matter how raucous their calls, they are always welcome visitors.

2 comments:

  1. We have titmice year round. I usually hear their peter-peter-peter instead of the scolding call. They like to take the sunflower seeds and crack them open on my iron table and chairs, leaving seed hulls everywhere and making a total mess. I do like them, but to me they are as common as sparrows! Love their little top knots.

    Why are they "troubled"? They look pretty happy to me with various things to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just seem troubled because of all their scolding. Not sure why either. I saw them during the summer, just not as much since there were plenty of bugs to eat. They seem to have a more interesting personality than the sparrows who are the ones who throw the seed all around on my patio.

    ReplyDelete