Monday, October 31, 2011

October Oddities

I went to the movies last Thursday evening.  It was raining when we went in, but when we got out of the theater, it was snowing!  (Our first snow isn't usually until December!) There was no accumulation and the next morning the streets were damp, but totally clear.  However, for the first time this fall (yes, it's still fall!) I had to scrape frost off my windshield.  I took a few pictures first though because nature had painted some interesting designs in the ice.


There were little rivulets of rain down the windshield that seemed to freeze in place.  Here's a view from the inside of the car.

Then there were little 'bird tracks' across the streaks of water.  It almost looks like birch bark.  The design on the side windows was totally different.


Not as interesting, but different.

That was Thursday.  Saturday also started with rain - and wind - then more snow.  We were again one of the lucky ones.  My friends in New Jersey were away in New Mexico, but came home Sunday afternoon to 19 inches of snow and a power outage.  Rhode Island only got a few inches of snow.  I woke up Sunday morning to see that even a little bit of wet heavy snow was enough to weigh down the branches of my butterfly bush which still has all its leaves.


As you can see, the other butterfly bush was hardly affected at all -  protected from the wind and snow by my neighbor's house.  There was also evidence of the outside kitties' presence - little paw prints in the snow.


By afternoon the temperature was up to 45 degrees and the snow was melting rapidly.  The butterfly bush (and my neighbor's house) was now decorated with tons of sparrows looking for food instead of that white stuff.




It's supposed to be down in the 20s tonight - the coldest temperature we've had this winter season.  Hopefully, my drive to work tomorrow won't be treacherous with ice on the road.

I was still in the process of getting pictures of the fall leaves before the snow, but don't know what's going to be left after this.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment