Saturday, February 11, 2012

Historic Slater Park

The mobile home park I live in is right next to a park - Slater Park, the oldest and largest public park in Pawtucket.  Friday I went on a drive through the park, and also stopped and took a walk with my camera.  Before it was a park, it was Daggett Farm - almost 200 acres of land.  It still includes a small petting zoo where the kids can meet some farm animals.


There's also a children's playground.


Yes, that's an elephant in front - but not a real one, of course.  There also used to be a small zoo where Fanny the elephant lived, much loved by regular visitors.  This was built as a tribute to her after she passed away.


And there's a dog park.


These guys were having fun for the most part, but I did hear a growl or two.


Of course. you can also take your dog for a walk within the rest of the park as long as it's on a leash.

There is also a Looff Carousel built in 1894.  Charles I. D. Looff was a master carver and built over 50 carousels and rides for amusement parks.  The Slater Park carousel was originally located in New York, but relocated here in 1910, and supposed to be the fastest carousel he ever made.  The carousel may be part of the reason that Slater Park is on the National Register of Historic Places.  This is the building that houses the carousel, not usually open this time of year.


It is open occasionally around Christmas.  This is a photo I took several years ago.  I was really struck by this very proper-looking woman riding a huge dog.


The dog is one of the animals that doesn't go up or down.  I'll have to do a full post just on the carousel in the spring when I can get more pictures.

Across from the carousel is a little man-made lake.  It's been so warm this winter there's not a speck of ice on the lake, one of the reasons why there are so many birds this year.


As I started to walk up to the lake, all the birds immediately came over to check me out, hoping for a handout.  There were lots of mallards..


Canadian geese, a few swans...


and the ever-present gulls.


I apologized for not bringing them anything to eat, but was actually glad I hadn't.  There were a couple people at the other end of the lake that brought some bread and were quickly mobbed by birds.




The male mallards are really spectacular with their iridescent green heads and neon orange feet.


I got a couple pictures of headless swans as they were grazing on something under the water.


A few geese were very friendly...

(and no, I never saw any geese walk up the stairs!)

And this guy was very curious about my camera, so I held the camera close to his face, not being able to see through the view finder.   I think it came out rather well.


Next time I go I might be daring and take some food!

No comments:

Post a Comment