Monday, May 28, 2012

Cattail Swamp

On my way to work I pass a couple little areas I call cattail swamp.  Of course, it's not really a swamp, but there are cattails - perfect habitat for red-winged blackbirds.  And I have seen them there several times.  Naturally when I stopped to take a few pictures there weren't any.  But I did hear a gluging noise several times - frogs definitely like this little area too.  I've also seen ducks enjoying a dip.  An interesting little mini-ecosystem.




Only the male red-winged blackbird actually has red on his wings, and the 'epaulet' on his shoulder includes a small stripe of yellow.

Source:  Wikipedia

As with so many bird species, the female gets short-changed when it comes to the color department.

Source:  Wikipedia

Red-winged blackbirds' main diet is seeds, but also eats fruit, insects and even frogs and snails. (The frog I heard better keep an eye out!)  They live in North and Central America, wintering in the southern U.S. and Central America.  Click here to hear their song.

To my complete surprise, I spotted a red-winged blackbird eating the suet I have on my patio one spring a few years ago, but haven't seen any since.  They would certainly be welcome should they decide to make a return visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment