Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hmmmmm

The last two times I've had the oil changed in my car, there has been a little pile of foam pieces on top of my engine.  The first time I saw it I thought it was weird, but wasn't too concerned.  A fluke?  I had my oil changed a week or so ago and there it was again.  Somebody had built a cozy little nest.  They supposedly cleaned all the nest building material up.  Tonight when I looked there was one piece of foam and a few sunflower seed shells.  I don't recall seeing the sunflower seeds when my oil was changed.


Then I noticed that there were a few holes in the lining of the hood of the car - the source of the foam no doubt.



So who is responsible for this enterprise?

I can't believe it's a mouse with all the cats at my house - both inside and out.  My friends in NJ had a packrat build a nest in their car and chewed through a belt that had to be replaced at their cabin out in Colorado.  AND got in their cabin.  It did quite a bit of damage and it was not a happy ending.  Most packrats do live in the Western U.S. and there are a few species here in the east, but they live in a forest environment.  My friends would probably think it serves me right if I had my own packrat since I kept commenting about how cute they are!

One species of packrat, bushy tailed woodrat  Source:  Wikipedia

A squirrel?  Who knows.  'Tis a puzzlement!  If you have any ideas, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Hah! Yes, it would serve you right if you had a packrat, but I don't think you do. Unless you see bits of interesting things along with the holes, etc., it's probably a squirrel. We had one of those cause problems here too. When we first moved to NJ we kept the Suburban outside. One day Rick was driving to work and noticed he didn't really have control of the vehicle. The wiring harness had been chewed through! They said that the vehicle was warm after being driven and the squirrels got in for warmth.

    Unfortunately, this is when those cute little critters become serious (and possibly harmful if they chew through something important in your car) pests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, packrats STINK. Their urine is unmistakable and you would certainly know it if you had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had that many squirrels around this year because I haven't been filling up the bird feeders on a regular basis, but it's definitely possible. And NO STINK.

    ReplyDelete