Sunday, August 3, 2014

And Then There Were Three

We lost another one of our stray/feral kitties today.  Here's the whole gang sharing dinner just a few weeks ago - from left to right Van Gogh, Romeo, Spot and Tabby.


But lately Van Gogh hasn't been looking too good - losing weight, sometimes not eating and just being generally listless. This afternoon when I went out to feed everybody I found Van Gogh lying out under my tree, covered with flies and barely breathing.  He managed to move a few feet at a time several times, but he was unsteady on his feet, and would immediately lie down again.  I debated about taking him to a vet.  In all the time I've known him and he's hung around my house I've never been able to pet him. That changed today probably because he was just too weak to try to avoid me.  He let me pet him several times and swat the flies off of him.  Taking him to a vet among all those strangers and unknown animals might stress him even further, besides the fact that it was Sunday and the only vets open were the emergency vets in Swansea.. But I couldn't stand not doing anything.  Finally I decided to see what would happen if I tried to pick him up and put him in the carrier. He was too far gone to do anything and I got him in the carrier very easily - needless to say something that never would have happened if he was well.

The vet confirmed that he was in critical condition and she agreed that the decision to put him to sleep and out of his misery was probably the best for him.  So Van Gogh is resting peacefully in kitty heaven tonight.  I know his buddies will miss him as will I.


Van Gogh with his best buddy Romeo



 He's been a fixture in the neighborhood for quite a while. It will be strange not seeing him around any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment