Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Small Brown Snake

The other day on my way to the store I was walking to my car when I noticed a small snake sunning itself on my sidewalk.  I watched it for a few minutes; it was testing the air with its tongue - typical snake behavior.  I leaned over and just stroked it gently.  It slithered into the bushes and lily of the valley area of my garden.  It was not even a foot long – very cute. 

Source:  Wikipedia

I had never seen any snakes around before and was curious as to what it was.  I checked what species of snakes are found in Rhode Island, and decided it was a Northern Brown snake.

There are only 12 species of snake that are native to Rhode Island and all are perfectly harmless.  In Connecticut and Massachusetts, however, one species of rattlesnake can be found – the Timber Rattler.  And Copperheads are also found in southern New England, but none have ever been reported here either.  Good to know!

3 comments:

  1. I am NOT picking up any snakes, cute or no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't pick it up either - wasn't sure how friendly it was. If I see it again though I might try. :-)

      Delete
  2. OH>>>> I thought that was your hand with the snake in it. Now I see the pic is from Wiki.;)

    ReplyDelete