Saturday, August 30, 2014

Another Newbie!

The butterfly bush is starting to wind down, having more dead blossoms on it now than blooming flowers.  The number of butterflies and bees have decreased, even the number of skippers that show up.  However, I had one other new visitor to the yard the other day and had a grand time taking photos and identifying it as a Red-Spotted Purple.  Just gorgeous!  The light wasn't great and the photos with its wings spread are kind of back lit, but was thrilled to have a new butterfly to add to the list.



 
 
 
According to the Rhode Island Natural History Survey, seeing this butterfly is uncommon in Rhode Island. I live near the Massachusetts border - I guess this one didn't get the memo about not crossing the state line!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've never seen one before! Good capture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne. I'd never seen one before either.

      Delete