Friday, September 5, 2014

The Demise of the Ugly Mushroom

Actually I'm not sure if what grew at my curb was a mushroom or a toadstool.  It seemed like it just suddenly appeared and I never noticed a small version of it growing. but then that is the meaning of the phrase, 'it mushroomed'.  I was surprised it grew at all since it's been so dry around here.  My mushroom started out looking like a white bald man's head with veins and blood vessels showing and then we had some rain and it turned brown.



At one point I measured it and it was 4 inches across.  It was around for a couple of weeks until one day I noticed that the cap had fallen off.



Not knowing whether it was poisonous or not and with all the stray cats and other critters around, I picked the cap up along with the stem, put them in a plastic bag and threw them in the garbage.  Very weird, but very interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Looks very puffball-ish to me. It does not look poisonous to me, not with that powdery stuff on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May not be poisonous, but not all that appetizing looking either!

      Delete
  2. Actually, puffballs are edible mushrooms when very young, but no in the "Puff" stage!

    ReplyDelete