Thursday, November 25, 2010

Crazy for Corn

Whenever my mother would ask me what vegetable I wanted for a birthday dinner, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other special occasion, she would know my answer before she even asked - CORN!  Growing up in Iowa I was in heaven because corn - and I mean FRESH corn - was always available six months out of the year.  You could buy it at the grocery store, on roadside stands, or even go out in the country and sneak an ear right off the stalk!  Of course, I never did that, but it was possible.  Iowa is in the middle of the corn belt, and the corn grown in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska account for over 50 percent of the 332 metric tons grown in the United States annually, the world's top producer.


Corn, or maize, was cultivated and developed from a wild grass called teosinte over 7,000 years ago in Central Mexico and spread north into the southwestern U.S. and south into Peru.  It became a staple food for the Aztec, Mayan, and Native American people and most certainly was present at the 'first' Thanksgiving in 1621.  When the very first Thanksgiving happened is contested since there was reportedly a similar event that occurred in St. Augustine, Florida as early as 1565.  Canadians also celebrate Thanksgiving, and THEIR first Thanksgiving was celebrated in current Newfoundland and Labrador in 1578 when explorer Martin Frobisher gave thanks for surviving a long journey looking for a northern route to the Pacific Ocean.


Source: Wikipedia

There are now over 100 different types of corn.  My favorite is Green Giant's White Shoepeg corn!  At least my favorite kind now.  I haven't tried all 100 - so little time, so much corn.  I hope you enjoy your favorite kind today and have a happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment