Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Historic Hudson

One of my favorite things about going to visit my friends Rick and Lynne in New Jersey (besides seeing them, of course!) is the thrill I get crossing the expansive Hudson River on the Tappan Zee Bridge.  What a spectacular view!


Besides the view I also know that I've almost reached my destination.  (The trip back?  Not so much because I know my trip's just starting and also that there's a $5.00 toll once I get across.  And I always forget about that toll.  One of these days Lynne's going to find me back on her doorstep a half hour after I left asking to borrow $5.00 so I can get back home!)

The bridge is a cantilever and truss system built in the 1950s and incorporates 153,900 cubic yards of concrete and 73,860 tons of steel, and is a total of 16,013 feet long.

The Hudson River at its widest is three miles across and the Tappan Zee is the area where the river widens.  It was named for the Tappan Indian tribe who inhabited the area and the Dutch word 'zee' which means 'a wide expanse of water'.

The river itself was named for explorer Henry Hudson, but Henry Hudson called it the Mauritius River, naming it in honor of Prince Maurice of Nassau. The source of the river is in the Adirondack Mountains and it flows 315 miles, about three quarters of the length of New York state, from north to south, through Albany and into the Atlantic Ocean ending at New York City.


While it would seem to be a wonderful transportation route, in the 1600s when it was first explored, the 15 mile stretch between what is now Peekskill and Newburgh was known as World's End because of its treacherous currents and strong winds making sailing extremely dangerous.

The Hudson River played a crucial part in the Revolutionary War.  Had the British gained control of it, they would have literally split the colonies in half.  In 1778 West Point was built to protect access to the River, and a 150 ton iron chain was put across a portion of the river between West Point and Constitution Island to monitor traffic and prevent the British from gaining control.

Once the steamboat was invented in the 1800s it provided an inexpensive way to travel up and down the river and as many as one million passengers enjoyed the experience.  River cruises up and down the river are still popular.

Source: planetware.com

The river and its incredible scenery also inspired a whole style of painting, which celebrated the natural world and is known as the Hudson River School.

No wonder the trip across the Tappan Zee inspires me so much!

1 comment:

  1. Hi C,
    Well, I guess next time you visit I need to give you the $5.00 toll before you leave! :) The Hudson is indeed mighty, but up where my mom lived (in the Adirondacks) it was but a nice placid little stream. At Ringwood Manor not far from the house they have a piece of that iron chain! Plus, at the police station that you've passed many times on coming to our house they have a replica of the wooden spike (what to call it?) that they had in the Hudson to deter the enemy. So much history!

    ReplyDelete