Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Masked Marauder

I had a guest at almost dusk tonight who very graciously allowed me to take his/her picture.  It didn't seem to be too concerned when I opened the door and stepped out on my steps.  It was too busy eating the cat food that was still out on my patio, gathering it quickly with its paws.  I was lucky it was still light enough to snap this critter because they are normally nocturnal.  Guess it was just getting a jump on its evening adventures.


Raccoons are native to North America although there are several subspecies found in Central America and the Caribbean, as well as subspecies found in various areas of the U.S.  It was introduced both accidentally and intentionally in several areas of Asia and Europe.  It is very adaptable and opportunistic like the possum and conflicts between this masked marauder and humans are common.  With very manipulative hands, raccoons can get into all kinds of trouble.



Raccoons will eat just about anything including insects, snails, fish, birds and bird eggs, nuts and fruit, and, obviously cat food!  Like woodchucks, raccoons only live a few years in the wild, but can live up to 20 years in captivity.  In previous years, I've enjoyed watching the antics of five raccoon youngsters and wonder if the one I saw tonight is one of those kids all grown up.  Sometimes even if I didn't see them I could hear them squabbling amongst themselves.

My neighbors have an enclosed porch with a cat door.  They also keep cat food on their porch for the feral kitties and have had raccoon visitors as well.  They had to replace their door because the raccoons could smell the food and tore a hole in their screen.

They can be troublesome, but how can you not love a face like this.

Source:  Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment