Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Welcome Woodchucks

As I mentioned in my last post, I have woodchucks that live under my shed.  Even though they dig holes and eat the flowers in my garden, I love them.  Also known as groundhogs - think Punxsutawny Phil - they belong to the marmot family.  Like many rodents, their average lifespan is only two to five years, but can live much longer in captivity.  One famous groundhog lived to the age of 22.

Woodchucks are true hibernators and can spend from October to March or April in an underground burrow snoozing the winter away.  That's why I was so happy to see my little woodchuck for the first time a few days ago.  I was hoping to get some new photos, and I had a chance yesterday when the woodchuck was finding some seeds that had fallen under my birdfeeder.  But when I moved closer to the door, I was spotted and Chuckie took off for his house under the shed.  Yes, not very original I know, but I call all my woodchucks Chuckie, even if it's really a Carlotta.  Anyway, these pictures from last year will have to do.  Here's Chuckie with one of the feral cats that also hang out in my yard.


The cat isn't paying hardly any attention to the woodchuck, but here's the next picture in the sequence.  Can you guess who blinked first?


Almost nose to nose, it was the cat that gave way, not the woodchuck!

My flowers and other greens are not the only things that woodchucks like to eat.  They also eat insects - grasshoppers and grubs - and snails.  And I know for a fact they like strawberries, blueberries, and peanuts.



I know that spring is definitely here, when the woodchucks are back on the scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment