Thursday, June 2, 2011

Engaging Gorillas

I have consciously tried not to have too many primate posts on my blog.  I wanted a more varied blog and there are certainly many other animals that fascinate me.  And the posts I have done on primates were to introduce you to the more unusual species of the world.  But it's been hard because I love primates!  Today I want to introduce you to the guy that started this passion - a western lowland gorilla named Joe.


I was a volunteer at the Denver Zoo back in the 80s and every time I worked in the membership booth, I tried to get to the Zoo before it was officially open so that I could spend a little one on one time with Joe.  I don't know that he cared one way or the other about my visits, but I certainly looked forward to them.  Joe loved to go back behind the viewing area and then come charging out ending with pounding his huge fist on the plexiglass.  I think he just loved to see visitors' reactions which ranged from scared, startled screams to nervous laughter at his antics.  One of the times when I arrived early he went back where I couldn't see him and I knew exactly what was to follow so I hid behind the exhibit entrance wall.  When he came flying out, I was nowhere in sight.  Then I peeked around the corner and waved at him.  I can play that game too, Joe!  I'd love to know what he thought of that move.


Joe was born at the Birmingham Zoo and came to Denver when he was a mature adult.  The first few days after he arrived the Denver keepers gave him all the regular food that they normally gave the other gorillas, but he seemed to be looking for something else.  The keepers finally called the head gorilla keeper in Birmingham and asked about his diet.  He replied, 'Well, have you given him his grits?"  Once he got his grits on a regular basis he was fine.  Who knew Joe was actually SOUTHERN lowland gorilla??!!

Before I left Colorado for Massachusetts, Joe had also moved on - to the Brownsville Zoo in Texas.  He's currently at Gorilla Haven in northern Georgia and turned 48 years old this year.  When I lived in Georgia I went to see him.  After almost 20 years I don't know if he recognized me or not, but it was good to see him again.


Lowland gorillas and mountain gorillas are only found in the forests of Central Africa.  They are mainly vegetarian and the largest of all primates.  They are an impressive sight, especially the larger male gorillas which can reach over five and a half feet tall and weigh over 400 pounds.

While gorillas can be very aggressive they can also be very gentle for their size.  Gorillas are amazing creatures and can surprise you with their intelligence.  After all, along with chimpanzees, gorillas are our closest relatives.  There have been several instances of children falling into gorilla enclosures at zoos and instead of tragic endings, the actions of the gorillas were perhaps surprising.  At the Brookfield Zoo an eight-year-old female Binti Jua saved a child by carrying it over to where zookeepers had better access.  Or the story of Jambo a huge male gorilla that helped a child as well.

And then there is Koko, a gorilla that knows over 1000 words in American Sign Language.  The Gorilla Foundation has been in operation for over 25 years, one of the longest running interspecies communication projects anywhere.

Photo by Ron Cohn  Source:  Gorilla Foundation

Click here to see a video of Koko with Betty White, along with other videos.

I hope you've enjoyed meeting some very special beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment