Thursday, March 15, 2012

Swarming Starlings

Besides the hordes of sparrows, I also have swarms of starlings that come and eat the food I put out for the cats.  They eat the cat food and then leave starling poo all over my patio.


What we have in the states is the European starling which was introduced to North America for whatever reason.  Boy, would I like to get my hands on whoever made that decision!

Source:  Wikipedia

If I had starlings that looked like this...

Hildebrandt's Starling  Source:  Wikipedia

maybe I would be more tolerant.  Just like Australia has a ton of robins (see previous post), Africa has a multitude of starlings and some are pretty spectacular.

Fischer's Starling  Source:  Wikipedia

Golden-breasted or Royal Starling  Source: Wikipedia

Superb Starlings  Source:  Wikipedia

Myna birds are part of the starling family and, just like mynas, starlings have a talent for imitating not only other bird songs, but other things as well.  Maybe if the starlings talked to me like this Myna bird, I'd also be more excited to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment