Monday, March 12, 2012

Harbingers of Spring

Saturday I noticed that my neighbor has some violas blooming, another neighbor's forsythia are in bud and so is my tree, and my periwinkle has flowers!  AND I saw my first robin!

Source:  Wikipedia

Did you know that the American Robin is actually a member of the thrush family?  Unlike the European Robin which is now considered to be a member of the flycatcher family.

European Robin  Source:  Wikipedia

There are quite a few birds called robins, but they are not necessarily related.  Did you know there is a robin with a pink breast?  It's native to Australia, and called the (wait for it) Pink Robin.

Male Pink Robin   Source:  Wikipedia

It's closest relative is the Rose Robin, also native to Australia.

Male Rose Robin   Source:  Wikipedia

And Australia lays claim to the Scarlet Robin, also found in Tasmania.  (Unlike our robin some males and females look very different.)

Female Scarlet Robin   Source:  Wikipedia

Male Scarlet Robin   Source:  Wikipedia

Australia also has the Western Yellow Robin...

Source:  Wikipedia

the Hooded Robin...

Source:  Wikipedia
the White-Browed Robin...

Source:  Wikipedia

the Grey-headed Robin...

Source:  Wikipedia

and one of the most spectacular - the Red-Capped Robin.

Male  Source:  Wikipedia

How did Australia end up with all these different robins and we only have one?  And I haven't included them all.

The Pacific Robin is found on the Pacific island countries of Samoa and Fiji, among others.

Source:  Wikipedia

He sort of looks like our Rose-headed Grosbeak.  Then there's the North Island robin from New Zealand.

Source:  Wikipedia

And the Black Robin or Chatham Island Robin from the Chatham Islands off New Zealand.

Source:  Wikipedia

There are several subspecies of the New Zealand Robin.  This is the Stewart Island Robin.

Source:  Wikipedia

As spectacular as some of Australia's robins are, I was still very happy to see OURS.  And Sunday I heard a couple of loud squeaks and squeals while I was hanging clothes on the line - telltale sounds of woodchucks under my shed.  My 'Signs of Spring' post from last year was April 11th - an entire month later than this year, although things were a little further along in that post.  We're supposed to be in the 60s all this week so things will really start to pop.  Even though we've had a relatively mild winter, those 60 degree temperatures are still going to feel like heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I guess any bird can be called a "robin" by the looks of it! ;) I like the pink Robin the best! Right now at almost sunrise I can hear a robin out there singing this morning!

    ReplyDelete