Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kamouflaged Katydids

I have to confess that I stole the idea for this post from Facebook.  Saw a similar photo on my page from another site and thought it was worth investigating.

This is a lichen katydid - a master of disguise as it looks just like the lichen that it hides among...

Source:  Project Noah

usually a species of beard lichen.

Source:  Wikipedia

It is so well camouflaged even its eyes are striped!

Source:  Project Noah

There are over 6,000 species of katydids, most living in more tropical climates, and many use camouflage or mimicry to hide themselves in their surroundings.  They are also called bush-crickets or long-horned grasshoppers which is one way you can distinguish them from grasshoppers - their long antennae which may be longer than their body.  Bush-cricket is probably a more apt name as katydids are more closely related to crickets than grasshoppers.  Like crickets, katydids can produce sound by rubbing their wings together.  Many katydid species are herbivores eating strictly leaves, bark, seeds and flowers, but others prey on other insects which is the case of the lichen katydid surprising other bugs that are attracted to the lichen.

Here are a few pictures of some other species of katydids.

Barbitistes obtusus (male)   Source:  Wikipedia

Porphyromma speciosa   Source:  Wikipedia

Platycleis affinis, female   Source:  Wikipedia

To see a video, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a couple of katydids here and the first time I saw one I didn't know what it was. When I leaned down with the camera to take a photo of it it came at me like it was attacking me, making noise the whole time. Weird.

    That top katydid is amazing! Mine were just plain old green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lichen katydid is from South America. If it wasn't a katydid, I'd almost say it is beautiful. :-)

      Delete